Silly season is almost upon us and this is usually the time of the year that you have to start looking over your shoulder. Mall robberies are on the increase as well as breaking and entering. If you walk down the street there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, if something seems out of place take it as a sign of danger.
- Look everyone in the eye. If a criminal knows you know what they look like, they are less likely to attack you for fear that you will recognize them later on.
- If you look like a victim, you will likely become one. Don’t look scared or afraid, give the impression that you will fight back if they should try and attack you.
- Everything goes in a street fight. Anything can become a weapon.
- Practice in your mind what you are going to do if faced with an attacker or robber, be prepared.
- Carry a bottle of pepper-spray.
I had a situation the other day right in front of my office building. As I approached the front door to unlock I saw a neatly dressed gentlemen walking towards me. I knew something was wrong immediately and stepped back to create some space between us. He grabbed the door handle to try and gain entry. I pushed him out of the way, went inside and locked the glass door behind me. I then proceeded to question him through the glass door and found his stores to he incoherent, he was clearly under the influence of narcotics. I phoned ADT and whilst waiting for more than 20mins for them to arrive tried to calm him down, as he was getting agitated.
The best thing to do in a situation like this is to remain calm. As long as the other party does not have any weapons or endangers your life, try and diffuse the situation whilst keeping distance between yourself and the potential threat. Don’t get into a physical altercation if your aren’t acting is self defense. Reasoning with someone under the influence of drugs can be frustrating, but don’t take matters into your own hands. If you lay a hand on him, you can be charged with assault.
Stay safe out there.